Substance Use & Misuse Support
One-on-One Counseling for Substance Abuse or Misuse Issues
This clinical service available through Harborside Health Center is designed for individuals who feel they have a substance abuse or misuse issue.
Counselor Laine Demetria helps patients identify goals, develop a plan on meeting those goals, as well as discuss self-discovery. Individuals seeking this type of counseling are generally looking for assistance in one of the following areas:
- Explore and assess substance use or misuse
- Quit tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceutical and other substances
- Moderate the use of a particular substance
- Learn more about different substances
- Implement harm reduction strategies for substance use
The entire service consists of anywhere from 8 to 14 consecutive sessions at 50 minutes each. Since sessions are brief, patients can expect a “present day” focus. Patients can expect to develop goals, discuss progress on those goals, and explore other areas of life that may need changing.
Sign up for your first session at the reception desk (Oakland or San Jose), or drop us a line for more. Our counselor, Laine Demetria, will call to schedule your first session according to her availability.
Cannabis Support Group for Families
Harborside support group helps underage cannabis patients and their parents better understand the role cannabis plays in their lives
Although the majority of cannabis patients are adults, many kids with debilitating medical conditions also benefit from some of the plant’s effects. Making the decision to give your child cannabis, and taking that step, are big enough hurdles.
But the fact is that this is just the beginning…
Harborside’s special support group provides a safe environment where families can discuss the role cannabis plays in their lives. Attendees of the support group can expect to learn the following through the facilitator and other parents:
- Cannabis safety, and its appropriate uses
- Others’ knowledge on treatment regimens and day-to-day coping
- Concerns on future impacts to kids
- Support for breaking stigmas, especially if doctors, other family members or communities do not favor cannabis as medicine
Harborside’s Family Support Group is open to patients under the age of 18, and their parents. Sessions are held from 10:15-12:00 every 3rd Sunday of the month.
Sessions are facilitated by Harborside’s Holistic Director. Stop by the reception desk, or drop us a line to sign up or for more information.